Friday, April 11, 2014

Easter ideas

April 2014
Sheree McKee
sewfabsew. blogspot.com


I’ve started sewing postcards for spring and it sure is fun to get out the cheerful colors and spring themed cottons!

#1   For my first Easter fabric postcard (FPC) I wanted to use this great egg print I’ve been stashing for a few years.  It’s quite busy, so I used it for a background.  

Easter Egg by ShereeSews

It is basically a form of reverse applique, with an egg shaped opening.   A contrast lining was stitched and turned to complete a window.  Underneath the window, I layered short cuts of ribbon onto the fusible side of Peltex.  Then I placed the window frame on top and fused everything together a second time.  I also used a decorative stitch around the egg. 

Easter cross by ShereeSewsTIPS: The matt finish of cotton looks really good with the glossy satin and metallic ribbons underneath.  Because of two different textures, you can really see the shimmer of a recessed egg beneath!  Or you could try a shimmery top fabric with dull ribbons like grosgrain, velvet, or cotton embroidered for a different texture contrast.







#2   My second FPC has two layers of stiffener.  A ribbon cross (on Peltex) is overlaid on a fused dupioni silk background.  I tried some machine lettering on a satin ribbon, but was not happy with the results.  The double layering makes the cross-dimensional and adds a nice stiff body to the postcard.

TIPS: Use stabilizer under the ribbon and stitch out words a lot longer than you think you can use.  That allows you to maneuver the ribbon so you can read the a bit of Easter Blessings on each side of cross.






Easter Chick by ShereeSews 



#3   Lastly, I was in a more playful mood, so this little cutie was born.   A simple egg shape was interpreted as a chicken.  I threw in some netting as a head comb, and a small feather for her wing.  The grass is bobbin work.  Run chickie, run!




All three of these will be swapped.  I’ll be sure to show you what I received in return!

ShereeSews in M!ch!gan

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

No comments:

Post a Comment