Monday, August 4, 2014

Sun Printing fabric postcards

Solar transfer or Sun Printing with INKODYE


 “Sunshine on my fabric makes me happy”… thank-you John Denver for that melody playing in my head!
Orange InkoDye over lime green fabric.  Lace and sewing notions used as masks.

 A recent swap held at PostcardMailArtYahoo group, used the technique of sun printing.  Summer is the perfect time to play with fabric dyes, solar inks and fabric paint combinations.

I found a new product at JoAnn Fabric Crafts called INKODYE.  It is a light and UV activated printing technology made by Lumi Company.  It is also made in the United States.

Small snap packets 0.95 fluid ounce of water-based Inkodye came in nine colors.  It comes out of the package nearly colorless until exposure.  This photosensitive ink can be used for shadow dyeing, or photo printing.   One snap packet will cover a 12” x 12” area of fabric.

Sun Printing is simple:
·    ~ Shake the Inkodye packet
~ Snap open
~ Spread thinly on fabric using packet as a scraper
~ Let dry in the dark
~ Layer unique opaque obstacles on fabric
~ Expose to sunshine 10-20 minutes
~ Wash twice, rinse, dry
~ Enjoy!
Plum Inkodye over green fabric.  This was a vibrant contrast until I let it sit too long 
in sun after removing objects.  Now the contrast is not as drastic.

In my first experiment, I spread plum INKODYE over a lime green printed fabric.
  I layered sewing notions and lace pieces. However, my fabric was too damp.  Ink stained the lace doilies, button backs, and tools.  So remember, to let your ink dry to touch before layering opaque objects.

I was extremely anxious to see the results.  So I pushed off the notions and admired the purple / green contrast!  But warning:  I walked away leaving fabric in the sunshine for another 10 minutes.  It continued to solar process and darkens the green areas, lessening the contrast between the two colors.  I had lost the bright contrast from a few minutes earlier!  I won’t do that again.

In my next play session, I was more cautious.  I let the coated fabric dry overnight under a black trash bag.  In the morning, I layered notions then exposed to sunshine.  Once I pulled off the resist pieces, I immediately rushed it into soapy water for washing twice.

Odor warning – this product has a strong pungent smell similar to hair dye. 


I completed two fabric pieces, as shown above.  Then I cut them up for our postcard swap.  Unfortunately, cutting the solar transfer apart diminished the ability to see most of the sewing notion motifs.

Have fun playing around!

ShereeSews in Michigan
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~





No comments:

Post a Comment